Loaded fries with garlic cheese sauce
We asked over on our Instagram stories if our community would be interested in seeing some of our favorite recipes and the resounding answer was “yes.” So, we are kicking off our recipe features with a menu item that is easy, quick and FOR SURE a comfort food. That’s right, we loaded some fries, and we’re sharing the recipe with you.
You can do this as a side, an appetizer or (and this is what we did, because we like to have cheat days) the whole dang meal.
You can also try this recipe with sweet potato fries instead of a regular French fry, if you want a healthier alternative. We did not.
So, without further ado,
- 1 package of frozen French fries (we used Hill Country Fare steak fries- an HEB exclusive)
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Green onion
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- ¼ cup of your milk of choice (we use almond)
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese (may need less cheese if you are using cow’s milk, depending on your preference of sauce thickness)
- Optional for sauce: salt, pepper
- Additional toppings: avocado, tomato, anything else your heart desires
- Begin by cooking the French fries according to the package’s instructions (keep the oven on so it’s warm for the last step)
- While the fries are cooking, brown your ground beef until it is no longer pink
- Add in taco seasoning and cook according to package’s instructions
- Start the garlic cheese sauce by adding the butter and olive oil to a sauce pan. Cook until butter is melted. Once the butter is melted, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant (only 1-2 minutes).
- Add the heavy cream and the milk and cook until it comes to a boil, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan cheese and stir until the sauce is thick. Remove from heat.
- Once your fries are cooked, begin layering with your toppings- ground beef, black beans, garlic cheese sauce, etc. Sprinkle with preferred amount of shredded cheese and top with green onions and cilantro
- Put the fully-loaded fries back in the oven to heat through and melt the shredded cheese, about 5-7 minutes depending on how loaded you got.